Student Questions and Answers

Is there a pass/fail option for spring semester?

Pass/Fail is not an option being offered for this semester. For now, courses will be graded as planned per the original course schedule.

What is the new deadline to withdraw from classes?

Deadline to withdraw from classes has been pushed back to April 3, 2020. Additional information on the steps to withdraw will be communicated soon.

What is the University’s attendance policy now that classes are online?

The attendance policy is unchanged, but faculty have the option to adapt their course attendance policies based on the transition to online courses. Please make sure you understand each professor’s policies when courses resume March 30, 2020.

How will tests and exams be administered for online courses?

All coursework will be completed through Canvas, unless otherwise stated by an instructor.

How do I register for classes next semester?

Advising and registration will take place by phone and email with considerable support from faculty and professional advisors. Registration will be through the online portal as normal.  

What can I do if I’m having difficulty with online classes because I’ve never taken an online class?

Contact the JCSU Canvas Help Desk at 704-330-1300 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.; and Canvas Support via the Help menu during all other hours (options of phone or chat are provided there). In addition, you can utilize the Smarthinking online academic support, which is accessible in the Canvas portal.

In addition, the University’s Learning Resource Center assists with writing and foreign languages. They will be available virtually. Appointments may be made by visiting or via email

It is critical that you speak with your instructor in detail along the way for extra help and to devise strategies to help you succeed.

How will office hours be provided to students now that courses have transitioned online?

Instructors will be asked to offer a regular time for online guidance, which will vary from course to course.

How are you able to use my money as a credit for next semester instead of returning it to me now?

The administration decided to apply credits as a means to provide freshmen, sophomores and juniors a credit towards their student balances for fall 2020. In many instances, this credit will be decreased by institutional aid, which is funded directly by the University. After the review process is completed, the amount of institutional aid may be greater than the credit applied to the student’s balance. If so, no credit or payment will be issued to the student. Graduating seniors will receive payment instead of credit on their student accounts. The process will adhere to guidelines from the U.S. Department of Education.

What is the difference between institutional aid and scholarship?

Student assistance or discounting is funded by two sources: funded aid and unfunded aid. Funded aid is typically contributed to the University by a donor. An example is an endowed scholarship. Unfunded aid is financed by the University and is paid from University funds. Unfunded Aid is also called institutional aid. 

How do I know if I am one of the Federal Work Study students who will be paid?

If you have been paid in the spring 2020 semester for Federal Work Study, you qualify for additional payments. If you did not earn any Federal Work Study payments this semester, you do not qualify. There is a limit on the amount you can earn in the spring semester, which is noted in your award letter.

How will I receive my Federal Work Study payments because I typically pick up my check from the Business Office?

Please provide your current mailing address to your work supervisor, who will ensure the check is mailed to you.

What is the date to move off campus?

In response to calls to help limit the spread of the virus, students are required to move out of residence halls as soon as possible. 

We have amended the mandatory date that students must vacate residence halls to Thursday, March 26 at 8 a.m. due to Mecklenburg County issuing a Stay at Home Proclamation that will begin at 8 a.m. on March 26.

Therefore, we strongly urge all students who can come to campus and remove items from their rooms to do so immediately.