Withdrawal Policy

Official Withdrawal Policy

Students may officially withdraw from the University up to the last day designated on the University calendar to drop classes.

Before initiating the withdrawal process, students should consult their advisor to discuss the reasons for the withdrawal and to develop a plan for the completion of the degree.

To withdraw from the University, a student must obtain a withdrawal form from the Office of Financial Aid or download one from the JCSU website.

The student should complete the form and take it to the Office of Financial Aid where a representative of the Financial Aid Office will sign the form and send a copy of the completed withdrawal form to the Office of the Registrar where the form will be placed in the student’s permanent record.

Failure to properly withdraw from the University will result in a grade of “F” for all courses for which the student enrolled that semester.

If a student receives all “F” grades and it is determined the student was an “UNOFFICIAL withdrawal” the Office of Financial Aid will use the student’s last date of attendance before performing any adjustments.

Administrative Withdrawal Policy

Current Balances

Any student who has not paid or does not expect to have sufficient funding scheduled to cover his or her outstanding account balance prior to Financial Clearance (Validation) deadline on the University Calendar may be subject to the Administrative Withdrawal Policy and Academic Withdrawal. To complete the financial clearance process the Office of Student Accounts will require the student demonstrate a financial plan that will cover the entire outstanding balance either via financial aid and or payment.

Examples of acceptable financial sources include:

  • Any combination of approved student loans,
  • Approved parent loans,
  • An accepted University Payment Plan - monthly payment plan contract and down payment has been made, and
  • Documented federal and state aid.

Please Note: If the student is not able to demonstrate a financial plan, he or she will be administratively withdrawn (i.e. the student will not be allowed to attend classes, rehearsals, or auditions or participate in any other University student activities). In addition, he/she will not be allowed to move into a Residence Hall nor use a meal plan. If a student is reported as attending a course(s), they will be academically withdrawn from the course as reported with a “W” on the official academic transcript. 

Outstanding Balances from Prior Semester

A student with an outstanding balance from a prior semester will not be allowed to register for the next semester until the prior outstanding balance has been paid. If a student is registered prior to having the prior balance hold placed on their account, the student is subject to the Administrative Withdrawal Policy. 

Outstanding Balances during the Semester

If the student's financial aid eligibility changes or if the student’s financial awards require re-calculation due to a change in the student's course schedule; the student will be responsible for the balance created on their student account. If the student does not receive financial aid or withdraws prior to receiving their financial aid, all outstanding charges including the books charges and other fees, will be the student's financial responsibility. It has been and remains the policy of Johnson C. Smith University to withhold all diplomas, degrees, official transcripts, and other official recognition of work done at the University from students with any outstanding debts to the University. This policy includes, but is not limited to, amounts owed in satisfaction of tuition, loan agreements, fees and charges, as well as monies owed for occupancy in residences and food service. No student with an outstanding balance, including library fines, will be allowed to receive their diploma or degree during commencement. Any student who does not fulfill the financial commitments to which they agreed may be subject to the Administrative Withdrawal Policy.