[]

The oldest and most distinctive building on JCSU’s campus, Biddle Hall was erected in 1883 to serve as the main administrative center for the university. Before it was renamed Johnson C. Smith in 1922, the school was called Biddle University in honor of Major Henry Biddle, who was killed in 1862 fighting for the Union Army in the Civil War. School lore holds that the bricks of the new building were laid by candlelight by recently freed slaves, and they were certainly assisted by students with the school's industrial program at the time. The building featured classrooms and a 600-seat audience chamber, and the distinctive clock tower was added atop the building in 1925. Biddle Memorial Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974, and it was completely renovated and restored in 2004. It serves as the home for the President’s Office, Financial, Student, Academic Affairs, Institutional Advancement, the Alumni Center, and many other important functions.

Biddle Hall Duke Library New Science Center Smith Church The Arch Yancy Technology Center Davis Science Hall Perry Science Hall Carnegie The Block Student Union Health Center Campus Police Humanities Building McCrorey Smith Hall Metropolitan College Human Resources Johnson Seabrook Integrated Studies Faculty House HealthPlex Brayboy Gymnasium Irwin Belk Complex Basketball Courts Tennis Courts Sustainability Village Greek Plots Greenfield Hall New Residence Hall Hartley Woods Band Room Carter Hall Myers Hall Career Services Counseling Center Sanders Hall Liston Hall Duke Hall Davis House Mosaic Village