The Arch
ONLINE TOUR

The Arch

The solid granite gates facing the city of Charlotte at the “Five Points” intersection mark the original entry point into the university campus.

Additionally, the gates symbolize the university’s rebirth from Biddle University to Johnson C. Smith University.

The gates were built in 1923 as a memorial to honor Johnson Crayne Smith, the school’s current namesake, as part of a gift given to the school by his widow, Jane Berry Smith.

Her donations reinvigorated the school by providing the means to build new dormitories, a science building, a teacher’s cottage and a church that bears her name.

Smith’s contributions set the school on solid ground after several devastating fires destroyed key campus buildings and placed the school’s future in jeopardy.