Financial Aid Options

In addition to the many aid options that are provided by JCSU, students and their families also have several options on how to finance higher education.

Here are some popular options:

Pell Grant

The Pell Grant is a federal entitlement program that provides funds to students pursuing a first undergraduate degree. To be eligible for the Pell Grant, the student must have an eligible Pell Grant Index (PGI) or Estimated Family Contribution (EFC).

More information »

Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

The Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is a federal program for undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need. These funds are administered on a first-come, need basis. The grant can range from $100-$1,500 per academic year. The deadline for Pell-eligible students to be considered for this grant is March 1.

More information »

United Negro College Fund Scholarships (UNCF)

Several UNCF scholarships are available to students. Students may find additional scholarships at All applications require at least one letter of recommendation and an essay.

Federal Work-Study

The Federal Work-Study program provides part-time employment to eligible students who are enrolled at Johnson C. Smith University. Students earn at least minimum wage for the actual hours worked. Earnings are limited to the amount indicated on the student’s award letter. Students are employed on campus by a variety of departments and offices, with the typical student working approximately 10-15 hours per week, not to exceed 40 hours a month, while classes are in session. Students participating in this program must be full-time.

More information »

Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

The PLUS program is a non-need-based loan that is available to parents who may borrow up to, but may not exceed, the cost of attendance per year for each dependent undergraduate student, minus other financial aid. These funds may be borrowed in addition to funds borrowed under the student loan program. Parents begin repaying the loan within 60 days after the second disbursement of funds for a particular academic year.

More information »

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Student Loan Program

Direct Federal Student Loans are provided by the United States government directly to students. All Federal Direct Loans are either subsidized (the government pays the interest while you're in school) or unsubsidized (you pay all the interest, although you can have the payments deferred until after graduation).

To receive a Direct Subsidized Loan, you must be able to demonstrate financial need. With the Direct Unsubsidized Loan, you can defer the payments until after graduation by capitalizing the interest. This adds the interest payments to the loan balance, increasing the size and cost of the loan. Repayment begins six months after the student graduates or drops below half-time enrollment. The standard repayment term is 10 years, although one can get access to alternate repayment terms (extended, graduated and income contingent repayment) by consolidating the loans.

More information »

The Alternative Loan

The Alterative Loan is another source of funding for dependent students whose parent(s) may not be eligible for the Plus Loan or for independent students who have no other form of support for additional funding. These are called alternative because students borrow from sources outside the college and the United States Department of Education. These loans are based on a credit approval and begin repayment six months after the student leaves the university. The student, who must be at least half-time and in a degree-seeking program, can borrow up to, but not exceeding, the cost of attendance minus other financial aid. The interest rates vary based on the prime rate and additional lender-based criteria.

North Carolina Need-Based Scholarship

The NC Need-Based Scholarship was created by the 2011 North Carolina General Assembly, this is a need-based program for North Carolina residents attending private institutions of higher education located in North Carolina. Students must be a NC resident as defined by NC Residency Manual, enrolled as undergraduate in a least 9 credit hours, demonstrate a certain level of financial need, and meet requirements for the Federal Pell Grant (except the EFC range used for Federal Pell Grant awards). The amount awarded can be up to $7,640.

More information »

DC College Access Program (DC-CAP)

The DC-CAP program provides college "last dollar" award scholarships of up to $2,000 per year (up to five years), to District of Columbia public high school students to help make up the difference between a student's resources, financial aid and actual college expenses.

More information

D.C. Tuition Assistance Grant (DC-TAG)

DC-TAG provides up to $2,500 per year for five years. These funds assist with the financial difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition at participating public colleges throughout the United States. The student must be a District of Columbia resident and have completed DC-ONE APPLICATION.

More information »

The information on this page is maintained by the Financial Aid Department. For more information or questions please contact them directly at 704.378.1035.