Severe weather plans and natural disasters
Violent weather by its nature is unpredictable. However, the approach of such weather is often known in advance. Good communication and quick response throughout the JCSU community will minimize serious injuries. Every reasonable effort will be made to advise faculty, staff, and students of the approach of violent weather, via phone or e-mail.
- Remain calm
- Move away from windows
- Call x1003 or x1004 if assistance is necessary.
- Evacuate building if alarm sounds.
- DO NOT use the fire alarm system unless a fire is present.
Tornado / Hurricane
- Move away from open doors and windows and move into an interior hallway.
- Do not use electrical equipment.
- Do not use elevators. Go to lowest level of the building away from windows. Take shelter.
- Sit on the floor and put your head in your lap. Cover head with arms.
- Remain in place of shelter until you are notified that the hazard has passed.
JCSU will provide broadcast stations with timely updates on any campus closings, cancellations, and delays due to inclement weather. Employees and students are urged not to call Campus Police for weather-related updates because this prohibits staff from performing their duties. Employees required to be at work during campus closings should arrange for suitable transportation ahead of time.
- Stay inside.
- Watch for falling objects.
- Crawl under the table or desk or stand in a doorway and hang on to something.
- Do not use open flame since gas leaks may be present.
- Do not use elevators.
- Remain calm and be prepared for aftershocks.
- If evacuation is ordered, proceed to assembly area.
- Do not re-enter the building until instructed to do so by the fire department or a university police officer.