Johnson C. Smith University to Celebrate 146th Founders’ Week
Charlotte, N.C., - April 10, 2013 – Johnson C. Smith University will honor national and local leaders, donors and students during Founders’ Week from April 18 – 21. Events for the week include:
- Scholarship Appreciation Luncheon on April 18 featuring guest speaker Eugene Cochrane, Jr., president of The Duke Endowment.
- Theatre Performance of Ain’t Misbehavin at The Arts Factory on April 19.
- Honoree Roundtable and brunch on April 20.
- Arch of Triumph Gala on April 20 honoring John Lewis, U.S. Representative for Georgia's 5th Congressional District; Sheryl Underwood, comedienne, actress and philanthropist; Johnson C. Smith University alumni Eva Green Donaldson, ’48, retired educator, and Melvin T. Pinn Jr., M.D., ’70, senior medical director of Virginia Commonwealth University Health System.
- 146th Founders’ Day Convocation on April 21 at the Jane M. Smith Memorial Church, featuring speaker Dr. Nat Irvin II, Strickler, executive in residence and professor of management at the University of Louisville College of Business. A Presidential Citation will be presented during convocation to Astrid Chirnos, president of the Latin American Chamber of Commerce.
- Annual Founders’ Day Spring concert on April 21 featuring middle school and high school students.
For more information about the week’s activities please visit: www.jcsu.edu
Founded in 1867, Johnson C. Smith University is an independent, close-knit urban university located in Charlotte, N.C. It has a growing national reputation for integrating the liberal arts with business, the sciences and technology in ways that empower tomorrow’s diverse entrepreneurial citizens and leaders. Offering 23 fields of study to more than 1,600 students from a variety of ethnic, socioeconomic and geographic backgrounds, the university’s excellent academic programs focus on servant leadership, civic engagement and global responsibility. For more information about JCSU, visit www.jcsu.edu or follow the university on social media sites Facebook (www.facebook/smithites) and Twitter (@JCSUniversity).
###Return to Latest News