George E. Davis House
The George E. Davis House
The former home of Dr. George E. Davis stands a block from the campus of Johnson C. Smith University. Davis, who was a professor, dean and advocate for education, left a legacy of uncomparable achievement in raising funds for the education of black students in the state of North Carolina. Because of his tireless work to help ensure that the doors of education were open to all, Dr. Davis is in the historical ranks as one of Charlotte’s leading black citizens.
Born in Wilmington, N.C., Dr. Davis graduated in 1883 from Biddle University, known today as Johnson C. Smith University. Dr. Davis, the first black professor at JCSU, taught for 35 years in the fields of mathematics, natural sciences and sociology. He became Dean of the faculty in 1905 and retired from JCSU in 1920.
Over time, Dr. Davis’s beloved house fell into disrepair. Following an $800,000 restoration project in conjunction with the city of Charlotte, the George E. Davis House is now the headquarters of the Foster Village Network Center. This innovative initiative serves youths who are phasing out of the foster care system and phasing up to the possibilities available through higher education. Dr. Davis’s mission of providing access to education will continue as the George E. Davis House, built in the late 1800s, serves as the hub of the University’s Foster Care Initiative. .
Restoration work began in 2013 on the project, which washandled by Andrew Roby, Inc., in conjunction with the City of Charlotte and the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission.