DIRECTOR OF FOUNDATION RELATIONS
Position: Director of Foundation Relations
Division: Institutional Advancement
Opening Date: May 21, 2013
Closing Date: RESUMES ARE UNDER REVIEW, NO LONGER TAKING APPLICATIONS. 11/26/2013
The Office of Institutional Advancement at JCSU is seeking a dynamic individual with strong, strategic development experience. Reporting to the Assistant VP of Institutional Advancement, the Director of Foundation Relations will be responsible for identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding private, community, and family foundations, and increasing the visibility of the University in the area. This director will be actively engaged in working to establish long-term partnerships and strengthen existing relationships with the corporate and foundation sector, as well as other key communities that will result in funding for the immediate and long-term goals of the University. The position provides the expertise to advance the University’s interests by researching and identifying sources of support, proactively seeking opportunities to generate new proposals based on foundation guidelines and interests, and by maintaining strong communication ties with foundation donors and prospects.
Qualifications: The right candidate for this position will be a high-energy professional with a minimum of three to five years demonstrated successful foundation fundraising experience preferably in higher education (or a comparably complex organization). A bachelor’s degree is required and a master’s degree and experience in higher education fundraising are preferred. Preference will be given to candidates with foundation experience, particularly with a college or university. Other competencies include: 1) Demonstrated ability in grant and proposal writing at appropriate levels for varied proposal development; 2) Demonstrated knowledge of methods, practices and procedures for obtaining information about the giving programs of foundations; 3) Excellent organizational, interpersonal and networking skills with large groups as well as with individuals are essential; and 4) Demonstrated record of success in generating significant commitments from foundations.
Responsibilities include: Design, implement, and manage a comprehensive proactive development plan focused on expanding and enhancing foundation relationships by directing and coordinating activities related to obtaining foundation monetary support.
- Identify emerging business leadership and industry trends with a special emphasis on developing high value-exchange corporate alliances and identify, evaluate, cultivate and solicit five- and particularly six figure (and larger) philanthropic commitments to support the mission and goals of the University.
- Work closely with Alumni Affairs staff, development staff, and other university representatives to create opportunities to build awareness among foundations in order to build and significantly expand positive fund-raising relationships. Identify key alumni within foundation and review foundation profiles that suggest potential relationships because of common interests.
- Advise faculty, administrators, and staff on foundation areas of interest, cultivation of foundations special requirements in the development and presentation of proposals.
- Work directly with the campus development staff and deans/faculty to develop new approaches to foundations and coordinate these contacts to initiate the cultivation/fundraising process.
- Maintain high quality stewardship process for active foundation prospects and donors. Ensure that stewardship and reporting requirements are met to sustain successful partnerships by maintaining detailed records of solicitation activities.
To apply, please send a letter of interest, your resume and contact information for three professional references to:
Institutional Advancement Search Committee
Office of Human Resources
RE: Director of Foundation Relations
Johnson C. Smith University
100 Beatties Ford Road
Charlotte, NC 28216
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 704-330-1494
Johnson C. Smith University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability or veteran’s status as it relates to student enrollment or hiring.
Date Posted: 5/21/2013 9:02 am