From high school to college
We realize that the transition from high school senior to college freshman is a huge milestone in life. It can be exciting, scary, fun and stressful all at once.
JCSU has a number of programs we offer incoming students to help them get used to life as a JCSU freshman.
Golden Bull Academy
JCSU is here to help you make the transition from high school to university life. That help begins at Golden Bull Academy. Held each year before the fall semester kicks off, Golden Bull Academy will give you the chance to:
- Meet with academic advisors
- Register for classes
- Get to know your classmates
- Receive more information on financial aid
- Get a glimpse of life as a Smithite
Starting the first week of classes in the fall semester, our freshmen participate in a four-week orientation that builds on the Golden Bull Academy experience. Students take part in a variety of educational, cultural, social and spiritual activities where they:
- Learn about JCSU traditions and history, including our best songs and cheers
- Create a sense of community with fellow freshmen on campus
- Build character, value and leadership skills
- Participate in activities that inspire good academic habits
Can’t wait to get started? Be a Freshman Summer Scholar.
For students who want to get a jumpstart on their education and earn course credits early, or for those who didn’t meet our admission requirements for GPA and test scores, JCSU offers the Freshman Summer Scholars (FSS) program. Students earn six credit hours in four weeks through classes in:
- Reading comprehension
- Critical thinking
- Problem solving
Off-campus field experiences show students the real-world application of what they’re learning in the classroom.
If your GPA and SAT/ACT scores didn’t meet our requirements for admission, the FSS program is your chance to show us that you’re ready for university-level work.