What if my family has special circumstances?
User: william
Date: 7/25/2011 9:55 pm
Views: 1278
Rating: 0

Although the process of determining a student's eligibility for federal student aid is basically the same for all applicants, there is some flexibility. You may qualify for an income adjustment if:

  • There is a death in the immediate family within the last year.
  • A parent has become unemployed within the last year.
  • Medical expenses were extremely high due to accident or health issue.
  • A parent becomes temporarily disabled.
  • Parent or guardian died in military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001.

Note: Cell phone bills, credit card bills, prior debts, automobile payments, mortgage payments or any other personal expenses are not grounds for income adjustments.