How can I be classified as an independent student?
User: william
Date: 7/25/2011 9:56 pm
Views: 1704
Rating: 0

There are seven student status questions located on the second page of the FAFSA application which classify students as dependent or independent. To be considered independent, a student must first be able to answer “yes” to any the following questions:

  • Were you born before January 1, 1986?
  • Are you a veteran of the Armed Forces?
  • Are you currently working on a master’s degree?
  • Are your parents deceased or are you a student ward of the court or in foster care?
  • Are you enrolled in a master’s or doctorate program?
  • Are you married?
  • Do you have any children that receive more than half of their support from you?
  • Do you have dependents (not children or spouse) that live with you and receive more than half of their support from you?
  • Are you an emancipated minor by court order?
  • Are you an unaccompanied homeless youth as determined by HUD or a high school homeless liaison?

If in the event you cannot answer “yes” to any of the above stated questions, yet would still request our office to consider your situation for a possible dependency override based on extenuating circumstance, you must be able to provide supporting documentation (e.g. leasing agreement, tax documentation, two notarized letters from individuals who can support independent status). This information will go before a committee.