What You’ll Learn
There are few subjects as fascinating and mysterious as the human brain. Its inner workings and the behavior it produces have led psychologists to ask questions like:
- What mental disorders or environmental factors lead to drug addiction?
- What causes one child to bully another child?
- What role does the media play in the development of eating disorders in young girls?
To find the answers, the world needs caring and dedicated people like you who want to help others improve their mental and emotional health.
What will I study as a psychology major?
Today — maybe more than ever — psychologists are in demand in almost every industry where people interact. As a psychology major at JCSU, you’ll develop an understanding of mental processes and the behavior they produce.
Your professors will walk you through the steps of collecting, analyzing and interpreting the data you find in research related to the brain. You’ll learn how to spot trends and develop theories as to their cause.
Studies of DNA, childhood and adolescent development, as well as psychology in the workplace will prepare you to enter the workforce with confidence. Many of our students choose to continue their education with graduate or medical school, and the research they conduct here shines on their applications.
- Applied Psychology
Popular classes in the psychology program.
|PSY 336 Consumer Behavior||Study the characteristics of consumers and consumer decision making.td>|
|PSY 432 Abnormal Psychology||Examine the various psychological disorders and the treatment of abnormal behavior.|
|PSY 331 Black Psychology||Study the development of black thought to understand the feelings and behaviors of African-Americans.|
|PSY 337 Industrial/Organizational Psychology||Learn the skills needed to effectively deal with employee problems in the workplace.|
Where will I study psychology?
Your psychology classes are held in smart classrooms on campus. Our faculty members regularly use plasma TVs and state-of-the-art computers to keep their lectures interactive and interesting.
What will I learn outside the psychology program?
JCSU is a private liberal arts university. What this means to you is that your education will broadly cover all areas of study. The diversity of your classes will help you look at “the big picture” in any career you choose.
- Classes in computer science and communication arts will give you a definite advantage in the job market and workplace.
- Taking several English and foreign language classes will help you interact with a global community that is getting smaller each day.
- By taking math and science classes, you’ll have a better understanding of the world around you.
- Health and physical education courses give you the knowledge to cope with everyday stress and lead a better, longer life.
Having a college education will give you the tools to succeed in life. Having a liberal arts education will give you the opportunity to take your success further.