What You’ll Learn
As a health education major at JCSU, you won’t just study diet and nutrition. Courses in sexuality, substance abuse and the home environment will give you the knowledge you need to lead others to a healthier, happier life.
Choose where you can make the most impact by focusing your study on either the community health concentration or a concentration in school health for grades K-12.
What will I study as a health education major?
If you choose to work in the school system, you’ll be qualified to coach and teach topics such as:
- Nutrition and fitness
- Human sexuality and family living
- Alcohol, tobacco and other drug use
- Psychological health
- Consumer health in the public schools
See firsthand how your education can be used to help people in your community through service learning at local soup kitchens and domestic violence shelters. If you choose to pursue a career in the field of community health, you’ll help people identify health risks and unhealthy lifestyle behaviors.
- Community Health
- School Health
- Physical Education
- Sport Management
- Exercise and Sport Science
- Sport Coaching
- Sports Medicine
- Fitness and Wellness Management
Popular classes in the health education program.
|HED 235 Drugs and Drug Education||Study the use and the abuse of drugs, alcohol and tobacco and its effects on the individual and society.|
|HED 234 Healthful Living||Examine the effects health has on personal, professional and family living.|
|HED 232 Human Sexuality and Family Living||Explore concepts concerning sexuality as it relates to the individual, schools and society.|
|HED 333 School Health Problems||Study the benefits and problems related to developing health education in the secondary school.|
Where will I study health education?
All of your courses will feature education technology that is becoming more relevant in 21st century classrooms. We’ll teach you the most effective ways of using smart boards and laptops to make your daily lessons informative and fun for students.
Additionally, our professors take students outside the classroom to study at facilities all over JCSU’s campus, including the:
- On-campus dance room for instruction in dance and yoga
- Weight room to teach physical fitness
- University gym and track to study aerobic activity
What will I learn outside the health education program?
JCSU is a private liberal arts university. What this means to you is that your education will broadly cover all areas of study. The diversity of your classes will help you look at “the big picture” in any career you choose.
- Classes in computer science and communication arts will give you a definite advantage in the job market and workplace.
- Taking several English and foreign language classes will help you interact with a global community that is getting smaller each day.
- By taking math and science classes, you’ll have a better understanding of the world around you.
Having a college education will give you the tools to succeed in life. Having a liberal arts education will give you the opportunity to take your success further.